Over 30% of the global population is either overweight or obese. There is a sudden rise in the popularity of gyms and weight loss diets, as people these days are more and more conscious about their weight and overall health. With this being the case, could a humble home remedy like apple cider vinegar be the answer to weight loss? If yes, how to use apple cider vinegar for weight loss would be the question in everybodys mind.
A lot of people ask us about apple cider vinegar uses for weight loss, and if that is the question you have in mind as well, then read on. In this article, we will also share with you if this is a legit method for weight-loss or just another weight loss fad? Let’s find out!
What is apple cider vinegar?
Apple cider vinegar is made from the fermentation of cider apples, hence the name apple cider vinegar.
The juice from crushed cider apples is fermented with the help of certain yeast and bacteria. This turns the apple juice into alcohol. There is a second fermentation process that turns the alcohol into acetic acid.
Apple cider vinegar is commonly used in salad dressings, to make sauce and marinades, and as a food preservative. (1)
Since it is derived from apples, apple cider vinegar too contains pectin, vitamin B1, B2, B6, niacin, biotin, and Vitamin C. Significant amounts of citric acid, folic acid, and acetic acid are found in apple cider vinegar as well. (2)
How does apple cider vinegar help with weight loss?
Apple cider vinegar has been a home remedy for treating anything from a small wound, a sore throat, or as a hair rinse, to treating heart disease and type 2 diabetes, for over centuries.
The health benefits are numerous.
But for the last few years, it has become a hot favourite in the weight loss diet for those who want to lose weight.
Does apple cider vinegar aid in weight loss
Let’s find out.
1. Studies have shown that acetic acid can lower the levels of glucose in your body, and increase the sensitivity to insulin, both of which aides weight loss. (3)
2. The acetic acid in apple cider vinegar can also help improve metabolism. An improved metabolism more often than not translates to weight loss. A recent study claimed that an enzyme known as AMPK is increased with the consumption of acetic acid. This enzyme is responsible for the burning of fat as well as the reduction of sugar in the liver. (4)
3. Blood sugar levels seem to be lowered with the consumption of apple cider vinegar. In fact, it enhanced the ability of the liver to manage the blood sugar levels more effectively. (5)
4. Excessive storage of fat can be reversed to an extent with the help of apple cider vinegar. According to a study, it can prevent weight gain, treat belly fat, and prevent the accumulation and storage of fat in the liver. (6)
5. The acetic acid in apple cider vinegar has the ability to promote the increase of fat-burning genes, thereby burning excess fat in the belly, and in the liver. It further led to a decrease in the build-up of body fat. (7)
6. Apple cider vinegar can send signals to your brain and help suppress your appetite, which in turn leads to weight loss or reduced food intake. (8)
7. In one study, it was observed that apple cider vinegar can slow down the rate at which the food you eat leaves your stomach. (9)
How much weight can you lose with apple cider vinegar
The answer obviously is – It depends.
However, as you will not like that answer, here is a study which can help you understand how much weight can you lose with apple cider vinegar.(10)
A study conducted on Japanese candidates showed quite impressive results regarding the relation of apple cider vinegar and weight loss. 144 obese Japanese persons consumed 15 ml (one tablespoon) or 30 ml (that is two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar on a daily basis, for 12 weeks.
This study was conducted in 2009 and published in the Bioscience, Biotechnology, and Biochemistry journal. Let’s look into how apple cider vinegar benefited those who consumed 15ml and those who consumed 30 ml.
Apple cider vinegar weight loss results
Individuals Who Consumed 15 Ml ACV for weight loss
Observed a drop in weight by around 1.2 kg
The body’s fat percentage went down by 0.7%
Circumference of the waist came down to around 1.4 cm
Triglycerides went down by 26%.
Individuals Who Consumed 30 Ml ACV for weight loss
Observed a drop in weight by around 1.7 kg
The body’s fat percentage decreased by 0.9%
Circumference of the waist came down to around 1.9 cm
Triglycerides decreased by 26%.
Apple cider vinegar weight loss reviews
Well, the benefits of apple cider vinegar for weight loss are clearly visible in the above results. The study concluded that apple cider vinegar was indeed responsible for a reduction in body weight, the lowering of body fat percentage, a decrease in weight circumference, and a decrease in triglycerides. (10)
This is just one study. Additionally, scientists also conducted a few animal studies. While the results are compelling, more research has to go in, to fully credit weight loss benefits to apple cider vinegar. It is safe to say that apple cider vinegar does promote weight loss, but several other factors come into play as well.
This includes a well-balanced, nutritious, and healthy diet and exercise. Avoid junk food and alcohol as well. Apple cider vinegar cannot be the sole means of weight loss, but it can definitely help.
How to use apple cider vinegar for weight loss
How to consume apple cider vinegar for weight loss?
Here is how to take apple cider vinegar for weight loss:
1. You can simply mix one tablespoon of water with one glass of lukewarm water and consume it first thing in the morning on an empty stomach.
2. Try to sprinkle a few drops of undiluted apple cider vinegar as a salad dressing, along with olive oil.
3. You can also add apple cider vinegar in a few dishes like chutneys, dips, and light meat specialities.
Experts say that you should not consume more than 15 to 30 ml (one or two tablespoons) a day. Apple cider vinegar is acidic in nature, so make sure to dilute it with water if you are ingesting it.
Side effects of using apple cider vinegar for weight loss
While apple cider vinegar works as a great health tonic thanks to its many benefits, there are a few apple cider vinegar weight loss drink side effects you should be aware of. Side effects of apple cider vinegar for weight loss primarily occur due to its excessive consumption.
Here are a few things that you need to take note of:
- Since it is acidic in nature, it can cause high acidity, damage tooth enamel, and hurt your throat. This is why we stress on the fact that it has to be diluted before consumption. (11)
- Apple cider vinegar might be responsible for hypokalemia. This is a condition that results in low potassium levels in your body. This can negatively impact you, as potassium is crucial for your nerves and muscles. (12)
- In people suffering from Type 1 Diabetes, apple cider vinegar can slow down the rate at which both foods and liquids leave the stomach in order to get digested. When this happens, it becomes harder for the body to control blood sugar levels. This condition is called gastroparesis. (13)
- Because of its high level of acidic content, it can also cause skin burns if applied in excess, directly to the skin. (14)
How do you take apple cider vinegar to lose weight?
Here is how, I take apple cider vinegar for weight loss:
- Start with small amounts of apple cider vinegar and gradually increase your intake to no more than 30 ml a day. Each person’s tolerance is different, so starting with just a few drops is a safe way to find your limit.
- Since apple cider vinegar can cause erosion of your tooth enamel, consider drinking it with a straw. Also, dilute it in water to protect your throat as well.
- Rinse your mouth with clean water after you take apple cider vinegar.
- If you are suffering from gastroparesis, then you should either limit your intake of apple cider vinegar to 5ml or avoid it completely.
When to take apple cider vinegar for weight loss
You might be wondering when to drink apple cider vinegar for weight loss:
- One part of apple cider vinegar is usually diluted in around ten-part water and consumed on an empty stomach early mornings. By doing this, you will be maximizing its health benefits. It also helps detoxify your body and facilitate its ability to process the food you will be consuming for the rest of the day.
- Another good time to consume apple cider vinegar is before a high-carb meal. This is suggested because high-carb meals can increase your blood sugar levels, while apple cider vinegar can significantly lower blood sugar levels in your body. For this too, dilute one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water. Make sure you drink this 30 minutes before your meal.
- Some people drink apple cider vinegar after a heavy meal as well. However, you must try to avoid doing this because apple cider vinegar delays the time taken for food to leave the stomach, thereby delaying the digestion process.
Honey and apple cider vinegar for weight loss
While apple cider vinegar is mostly consumed with water alone for weight loss, there are other theories that suggest that mixing honey along with this can facilitate weight loss much better. Like apple cider vinegar, honey too has several health benefits and has been used as a health tonic and home remedy for centuries.
But why do people consume a mixture of honey and apple cider vinegar?
One of the reasons is that apple cider vinegar has a sour taste. Mixing it with water significantly reduces the sourness and its acidic taste, but adding a little honey to this can make it a little sweeter to consume. People who dislike the taste of apple cider vinegar usually add honey to mask its taste with something sweet.
However, can a combination of honey and apple cider vinegar work much better than just apple cider vinegar for weight loss?
Honey is a much healthier alternative to sugar. It can also improve digestion and regulate blood sugar levels in your body. A study also suggested that honey can help with boosting metabolism (15)
Having said that, it is worth noting that although honey is a healthier alternative to sugar, it still contains calories. So, while having apple cider vinegar, only add small amounts of honey.
How to have apple cider vinegar and honey for weight loss?
To facilitate weight loss, you need to make a combination of apple cider vinegar, honey, and lukewarm water, Mix one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar with two teaspoons of honey.
Apple cider vinegar for weight loss recipe
A single teaspoon of honey is approximately 21 grams, while one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar is around 15 ml. To this combination, you will have to add 240 ml (8 ounces) or a glass of lukewarm water.
The best time to consume this mixture would be before you go to bed at night or first thing in the morning when you wake, on an empty stomach.
For some extra flavour, you can also go ahead and add ginger, cayenne pepper, cinnamon, or fresh mint.
Other health benefits of apple cider vinegar
We’ve spoken in great detail about how apple cider vinegar can aid weight loss, but let’s not forget that it can be beneficial for several other health issues as well. Some of them are:
- Apple cider vinegar can help regulate blood sugar levels in the body, thereby helping with the management of diabetes.
- Vinegar, in general, can help kill bacteria. The acetic acid present in apple cider vinegar can help kill pathogens and bacteria and work as an antiseptic as well.
- Research suggests that apple cider vinegar can help lower cholesterol levels in the body as well. Cholesterol by itself is not bad for your body. It is extremely useful in the making of hormones, bile acids, and fat-soluble vitamins. However, when there is excessive cholesterol in your body, you are prone to heart disease. In a study that was conducted, it was concluded that apple cider vinegar can reduce triglyceride levels as well as cholesterol levels in the body. (16)
- Apple cider vinegar may potentially help treat cancer as well. Studies have suggested that vinegar has the ability to kill certain cancer-causing cells and help keep cancer at bay. However, there is insufficient evidence to back this up, and the studies were conducted on rats and not humans.
- Apple cider vinegar has antioxidant properties, so it is beneficial in balancing the free radicals in your body. Free radicals in your body lead to inflammation or oxidative stress. Apple cider vinegar can ease this.
- Apple cider vinegar has many many cosmetic benefits as well. Many people apply it to the skin to prevent or treat acne. It can also maintain the pH levels of your skin. You can also use apple cider vinegar as a natural toner.
- Apple cider vinegar is beneficial for your hair too. It can balance the pH levels of your hair, remove fizziness, and add lustre and shine. It can also facilitate hair growth. Apple cider vinegar’s antifungal and antimicrobial properties can help keep infections at bay as well.
Best apple cider vinegar for weight loss to buy Online
You can buy apple cider vinegar online as well as from your local supermarket. Here are a few of the best apple cider vinegar brands to choose from…
- Bragg Organic Apple Cider Vinegar – Bragg’s apple cider vinegar is unfiltered, which means it contains the ‘mother’. Available on Amazon.
- HealthViva Apple Cider Vinegar – This particular product is 100% pure, raw, and unfiltered. It is a great choice for your salads and marinades. Available on Amazon.
- Kashvy Filtered Apple Cider Vinegar – Kashvy’s Apple Cider Vinegar is filtered. Available on Amazon.
The takeaway is that although there is not enough scientific evidence and research to confirm that apple cider vinegar can indeed help with weight loss, it is safe to say that to a certain extent, it does help with weight loss.
If you are suffering from diabetes, hypokalemia, or are easily prone to allergic reactions, consult a healthcare professional before drinking apple cider vinegar. For best results, consume diluted apple cider vinegar on a daily basis.
However, depending on apple cider vinegar alone, while leading a sedentary lifestyle, is pointless. Effective weight loss includes a well-balanced, nutritious diet, and regular physical exercise. Apple cider vinegar is only a small part of your weight loss journey!