Most of us particularly kids like the Green or Black or red colour grapes for its sweet and juicy pulp and juice. However most of us always look for seedless grapes. However do you know that seeds of grapes have several benefits. Grape seeds are rich in powerful antioxidants and natural plant compounds called oligomeric proanthocyanidin complexes (OPCs).
Grape Seed Extract Supplement is made by extracting derivatives from Grape seeds. Grape Seeds have been found to be extremely rich in antioxidants such as oligomeric proanthocyanidin complexes (OPCs). Oligomeric proanthocyanidin complexes (OPCs) is a flavonoid phytonutrients with incredible antioxidant potential.
In several studies it has been found that regular supplementation of Grape seed extract increases blood levels of antioxidants. Antioxidants are the substances that destroy free radicals responsible for aging, damage of the DNA, cell death and development of a several of health concerms such as heart diseases and cancer.
Grape seed extract contains approximately 95% OPC’s, which is more than any other antioxidant extract. The major ingredient of Grape seed extract oligomeric proanthocyanidin complexes (OPCs) provides superior antioxidant efficacy as compared to Vitamins C, E and β-carotene.
Grape Seed Extract has been linked to a wide range of possible therapeutic properties, it:
- Helps healing of wounds: Topical application of Grape Seed Extract supports dermal wound healing.
- It helps treating conditions such as high cholesterol, atherosclerosis, macular degeneration
- Helps the body produce Glutathione, the primary antioxidant in the body that protects DNA and strengthens the immune system
- Protects blood vessels from damage, which may prevent high blood pressure. “
- Helps increase intracellular vitamin C levels leading to strengthening of capillaries
- Helps improve blood oxygen circulation throughout the body due to strengthened capillaries
- Protects soft tissue collagen in the skin and joints from free radical damage and premature aging.
- Supports demineralization and remineralization of cavities in tooth. Due to its supporting role in remineralization, it is an effective treatment that may stop or reverse early tooth decay.
- Protects the skin from UV radiation damage
- Protects the blood vessel walls from inflammatory stress
- Protects and the brain from low oxygen situation
- Has been shown to reduce the risk and severity of skin cancer.
- Improves bone strength if you simultaneously take Grape Seed Extract along with Calcium. This combination of Calcium and Grape Seed Extract has beneficial effect on bone formation and bone strength.
- Help to improve blood pressure
- Helps reduce edema (swelling due to excess water retention in the body): As per University of Maryland Medical Center: “Edema is common after breast cancer surgery, and one double-blind, placebo-controlled study found that breast cancer patients who took 600 mg of grape seed extract daily after surgery for six months had less edema and pain than those who took placebo”.
- Helps reduce the swelling that occurs after an injury or surgery: As per University of Maryland Medical Center, “people who took grape seed extract after experiencing a sports injury had less swelling than those who took placebo.”
- Prevents cognitive decline with aging
- Protects against dementia
Best Grape Seed Extract Supplement
Grape seed extract supplements are available as a dietary supplement several forms. Choose to buy the supplements with 40 to 80% proanthocyanidins or an OPC content of not less than 95%.
- Dermal wound healing properties of redox-active grape seed proanthocyanidins. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0891584902009991
- Mechanical assessment of effects of grape seed proanthocyanidins extract on tibial bone diaphysis in rats
N. Yahara, I. Tofani, K. Maki, K. Kojima, Y. Kojima, M. Kimura. Department of Paediatric Dentistry, Kyushu Dental College, Manazuru, Kokurakita-ku, Kitakyushu, Japan
- Grape seed proanthocyanidines and skin cancer prevention: Inhibition of oxidative stress and protection of immune system. Santosh K. Katiyar
- Molecular mechanisms of cardioprotection by a novel grape seed proanthocyanidin extract. Debasis Bagchia, Chandan K Senb, Sidhartha D Rayc, Dipak K Dasd, Manashi Bagchia, Harry G Preusse, Joe A Vinsonf.
- Grape seed proanthocyanidin lowers brain oxidative stress in adult and middle-aged rats. Asha Devi S1, Sagar Chandrasekar BK, Manjula KR, Ishii N.