Every street in Indian villages have a drumstick tree, and if you happen to enter a kitchen, you will surely find Drumstick vegetable.
The drumstick tree is native to India and parts of Asia and Africa. Have a ride around the Indian villages, and you will be surprised to see the abundance of these trees.
Our ancestors have consumed almost every part of drumstick including leaves, fruits, roots, seeds, and oil for thousands of years.
In Indian cuisine, the drumstick is an extremely well-known veggie, especially in south-India where it is used for preparing sambhar, soup, koftas, podi, thoran and variety of dishes.
In ancient time, drumstick tree was used to cure more than 300 diseases by ancient Indian Ayurveda and hence it is regarded as the most nutrient tree in India.
What is Drumstick Tree?
Drumstick tree is a tropical plant species. It is commonly known as “drumstick”. It is a small tree and native to India and parts of Asia & Africa.
Mostly used as a vegetable in various culinary activities, drumstick tree and its various parts also has several health benefits as it is nutrient-packed.
Usually, the drumstick plant grows small to medium sizes and bears flowers in three colours: red, white, and black. Drumstick is a fast-growing and draught-resistant plant and it grows best in dry sandy soil.
Drumstick is an evergreen tree and is cultivated all year round in India. It has got slender green fruits (also called pods) that resemble drumsticks and hence the name.
The leaves of drumstick tree have the spherical shape and are full of nutritional advantages. Due to its highly nutritious profile and amazing health benefits, Drumstick is often regarded as the superfood of the modern era.
Drumstick Scientific name
The scientific name of drumstick is Moringa oleifera. Among all the species of the genus Moringa, Moringa oleifera is the most widely cultivated.
Drumstick meaning in Hindi
इसे हिन्दी में सहजना, सुजना, सेंजन और मुनगा आदि नामों से भी जाना जाता है। इसका वनस्पति वैज्ञानिक नाम “मोरिंगा ओलिफेरा” ( Moringa oleifera ) है।(1)
The Hindi meaning of drumstick is Sahajana or Saijan (horse radish tree). It is mostly found in the southern foothills of Himalaya. It goes with many names across India and finds its usage in a varied field including culinary and medicine. The bark, sap, leaves, roots, seeds, flowers and oils are used in traditional medicines in several countries.
Drumstick tree, also known as horse-radish is a tropical plant species. It is native to India and grows in a size from small to medium. Drumstick leaves, flowers, root, foliage, fruits, seeds, and oil are consumed since ancient India.
Drumstick plant is also used for medicinal practice and hence it is one of the most famous vegetable crops in India. Though the drumstick plants originated from India, due to its several medicinal healing properties it has become famous across the world.
It is used as a vegetable in Indian cuisine and is also available in the form of tea, powder, seeds, capsules.
The beneficial properties of drumstick leaves were discovered thousands of years ago, by ancient Indian Ayurveda. It was used in many traditional herbal medicines to cure ailments.
Drumstick tree was believed to be potent enough to cure more than 300 diseases in ancient time. The latest scientific research has also confirmed the benefits of Moringa leaves as herbal supplements.
As of now, more than 1300 studies and reports have focused on drumstick benefits and its healing abilities. In 2008, drumstick (moringa oleifera) was called “plant of the year” by the National Institute of Health (USA). It is known to possess 90 powerful nutrients till date and scientist are looking forward to the possibility of more yet to be identified.
Of all the parts of Drumstick tree, leaves are the most nutritious and were used to cure more than 300 diseases in India’s ancient tradition of Ayurveda-medicine. It is natural energy booster which is sustainable as it is not based on sugar.
It is an excellent source of multivitamin and protein which is incomparable to other trees (used for medicinal purpose). Have a look at some amazing facts of drumstick leaves:
- Twice the amount of protein as in yogurt
- 7 time more amount of vitamin C as in oranges
- 4 times of amount of calcium as in cows’ milk
- four times more vitamin A than carrots
- three times more potassium than bananas.
- Twice the amount of iron than spinach
The green pods of drumstick plants are the most valued part and widely used as vegetables across India. The cooking style of these pods has more or less similarity with that of green beans.
The only difference is eating raw green pods will not be so joyful. South India has a known obsession for the drumstick and they use it in a vast variety of South-Indian cuisines which includes sambhar, soup, paratha, koftas, podi, thoran, etc.
Uses of Drumstick
One can use mighty drumstick plant for a variety of purposes. Some of its well-known uses of drumstick are:
- The tender drumstick fruits are used to prepare curries. It is an integral ingredient of South-Indian dishes, especially Sambhar. The drumstick pods are also used in a variety of dishes in many other cultures.
- Drumstick leaves can be used in the form of tea and also be blended into smoothies.
- The tender leaves are the rich source of iron and hence used in soups, meals, and salads.
- Finely chopped drumstick leaves make an excellent garnish for vegetable dishes. the leaves can alone be used as a leafy vegetable.
- It can also be used as an organic, cold-pressed oil (or ben oil).
- Beans, after cleansing and scraping out the outer rough parts are used in the final stages of preparation of kadhi and daal to provide a nutritional addition to the meals.
- Drumstick leaves may also be used for water purification.
- The drumstick tree is also used in the treatment of malnutrition among infants and nursing mothers.
- Due to its medicinal effects, drumstick plant is used to treat a headache, asthma, eye-disorders, Epilepsy, fever, digestion, and internal swelling.
- Various studies claim that drumstick leaves possess anti-tumour and anti-cancer properties.
The Uses of Drumstick flowers
- Drumstick flowers are cooked with many vegetable dishes and relished as a delicacy in Eastern region of India including West Bengal.
- Drumstick flowers are mixed with besan (gram flour) to prepare nutritious cutlets and also added to dal, sambhar, and aromatic spicy gravies.
- It has excellent antibacterial and cleansing properties.
- Moringa flowers are used in aromatherapy practice and are the basis for various perfumes and colognes.
- The flowers provide antioxidant benefits for the skin and hair and hence used for producing hair oils
- It acts as an energy booster when boiled with milk.
- It is extremely beneficial against infections of the throat and skin.
- Scientific research has found drumstick flowers to be effective in common problems such as infertility, erectile dysfunction, and oligospermia (fewer sperms). A study published in the “American Journal of Neuroscience” claims that drumstick flowers help improve the libido and performance.
Uses of Drumstick Vegetable
Of all the parts of drumstick plant, the pods are probably the most used part as a vegetable in a vast range of Indian cuisine. It is the flower of this tree that grows up into slender, dark-green drumstick pods. Due to its fleshy pulp and pea-sized seeds, it is vastly used in the preparation of vegetables and curries. Here is the list of its uses:
- It is used in the preparation of a variety of sambhars in South-India.
- The drumstick pods can be boiled or fried until semi-soft and consumed directly without any extra preparations.
- The pulpy parts of green pods are used in many kinds of dal, kormas and curries.
- The seeds are taken out from the mature drumstick pods and are eaten like peas or even roasted like nuts.
- Green pods are also used to prepare the soup and juices.
Apart from being used as a vegetable and its ingredient, drumstick pods also benefit your overall health. It is an excellent blood purifier and powerful antibiotic agent; hence it helps you cure acne, pimples and other skin related infections. Green pods have high iron, calcium, copper, magnesium and manganese content which help improve bone density and thus make your bones stronger. Being a rich source of B-complex vitamins like niacin, pantothenic acid, riboflavin and folic acid, they promote healthy digestive system.
Uses of Drumstick Leaves
Leaves are the most nutritious part of the drumstick plants and widely used as an ingredient in Indian foods. Here are some of the uses of drumstick leaves:
- Unless tender they are hard to digest so, pressure-cook them just like spinach and use it to prepare dal and curries.
- Drumstick leaves are used in the form of tea and are excellent anti-oxidants.
- Dried leaves are crushed to make powder, which is used in soups and sauces.
- It is very common in many South-Indian dishes including clear soup, thoran, drumstick leaf podi, adai, sambhar, etc.
- The drumstick leaves are also used as forage for livestock.
- Drumstick leaves powder are used to make soap for hand-wash.
Drumstick Leaves medicinal uses:
Here are some medicinal benefits of drumstick leaves
1 Help reduce diabetes:
Drumstick leaves contain chlorogenic acid and isothiocyanates which help balance the sugar level in human body and hence reduce diabetes.
2 Protects your skin from free radicals:
The drumstick leaf-extracts contain antioxidants which prevents against cell damage and ageing caused by free radicals such as cell damage, oxidative stress, inflammation, etc. It also makes your skin smooth and youthful.
3 Good digestive health:
Drumstick leaves is an excellent source of calcium and fibre; hence it is very effective to maintain healthy digestive system. It is also very useful in the treatment of kidney and liver disease, ulcers and kidney stones. It detoxifies your body of heavy metal toxins.
4. Good for your heart and brain:
Drumstick leaves have cholesterol-lowering effects thus it protects you against heart diseases. It also improves the brain function as it helps in neurone degeneration. Due to the presence of antioxidants, it helps fight against stress and depression.
5. Other Benefits:
The highly nutritious leaves are the great source of Vitamin C, protein, beta-carotene, iron, and potassium. For people with poor vision, drumstick leaves work like a miracle. It is also very useful in lowering the blood pressure. In South-India it is used in Siddha medicine as a sexual virility drug. It is very effective in treating men’s erectile dysfunction and also prolonging sexual activity in women. Some studies also claim the drumstick leaves to be potent enough to fight cancer and diabetes.
Drumstick Nutritional Information
Drumstick is probably the only plant whose every part is nutrient packed. All the parts including leaves, pods, and flowers are used for many medicinal practices. They are all great source of Vitamin C, protein, beta-carotene, iron, and potassium. Let’s see what each of them contains inside. The nutrition facts provided here are based on USDA National Nutrient database with a serving size of 100gm. Percentages of daily-recommended values are provided in brackets.
Drumstick Vegetable Nutrition Facts
|Principle||Nutrient Value-pods (raw)|
|Energy||37 Kcal (2%)|
|Carbohydrates||8.53 g (6.5%)|
|Protein||2.10 g (4%)|
|Total Fat||0.20 g (1%)|
|Cholesterol||0 mg (0%)|
|Dietary Fiber||3.2 g (8%)3.2 g (8%)|
|Folates||44 µg (11%)|
|Niacin||0.680 mg (4%)|
|Pyridoxine||0.120 mg (9%)|
|Riboflavin||0.074 mg (6%)|
|Thiamin||0.053 mg (4.5%)|
|Vitamin A||74 IU (2.5%)|
|Vitamin C||141mg (235%)|
|Sodium||42 mg (3%)|
|Potassium||461 mg (10%)|
|Calcium||30 mg (3%)|
|Iron||0.36 mg (4.5%)|
|Magnesium||45 mg (11%)|
|Phosphorus||50 mg (9%)|
|Selenium||8.2 µg (15%)|
|Zinc||0.45 mg (4%)|
Drumstick Leaves Nutrition Facts
|Principle||Nutrient Value-leaves (raw)|
|Energy||64 Kcal (3%)|
|Protein||9.40 g (17%)|
|Total Fat||1.40% (7%)|
|Cholesterol||0 mg (0%)|
|Dietary Fiber||2.0 g (5%)|
|Folates||40 µg (10%)|
|Niacin||2.220 mg (14%)|
|Pyridoxine||1.200 mg (92%)|
|Riboflavin||0.660 mg (51%)|
|Thiamin||0.257 mg (21.5%)|
|Vitamin A||7564 IU (252%)|
|Vitamin C||51.7 mg (86%)|
|Sodium||9 mg (0.5%)|
|Potassium||337 mg (7%)|
|Calcium||185 mg (18.5%)|
|Iron||4.00 mg (50%)|
|Magnesium||147 mg (37%)|
|Phosphorus||112 mg (20%)|
|Selenium||0.9 µg (1.5%)|
|Zinc||0.60 mg (5%)|
Drumstick flowers Nutrition Facts
|Principle||Nutrient Value-flowers (raw)|
|Energy||50 Kcal (2.5%)|
|Carbohydrates||7.5 g (6%)|
|Protein||4 g (7.5%)|
|Total Fat||1 g (5%)|
|Cholesterol||0 mg (0%)|
|Dietary Fiber||1g (2.7%)|
|Calcium||51 mg (5%)|
|Phosphorus||90 mg (17%)|
Drumstick Benefits and Side Effects
While many plants are used as herbal supplements for health-benefits, the drumstick tree stands far ahead of its peers. Drumstick has the potential to improve the overall health of human being as it is nutrient-packed. Here are the benefits of this supertree.
Drumstick Health Benefits
1 Antidiabetic and hormone balancing properties:
High Blood Sugar can be very unhealthy and may lead to diabetes. Drumstick leaves help reduce diabetes by balancing the sugar level in human body. Moringa contains chlorogenic acid and isothiocyanates compound which help control blood sugar levels by allowing cells to take up or release glucose (sugar) as required.
Drumstick leaf powder is effective enough to reduce lipid and glucose levels and to regulate oxidative stress in diabetic patients. Which means Moringa reduces the blood sugar and cholesterol and provides protection against cell damage.
However, most of the claims are based on animal studies, and more research is required before any solid recommendation can be made.
2 Fights Free Radical Damage and protects your skin:
The drumstick leaf extracts contain antioxidants such as quercetin, flavonoids, and polyphenols and hence prevents the damage and degradation caused by free radicals such as oxidative stress, cell damage, and inflammation, etc.
Drumstick is rich in Vitamin A, C, E and many B complex vitamins making it an excellent antioxidant. It reduces the cell damage and ageing due to free radicals and help you maintain smooth and youthful appearance on your skin. Drumstick seed oil acts as an excellent moisturiser and natural cleanser without making the skin oily.
Drumstick has natural antibacterial and antifungal compounds that protect your skin from various forms of infections. The light nature of drumstick oil (also called ben oil) unclogs the skin pores and lifts up the dirt, thus protects your skin from acne and pimples.
3 Good for overall digestion system:
Drumstick, as a herbal medicine, boost your digestive system in many ways.
Due to a rich source of calcium and fiber (31%), it is very effective in maintaining the normal function of digestive enzymes and supporting bowel regularity.
In ancient Ayurveda, Drumstick tree was used to treat ulcers, kidney and liver disease, kidney stones, digestive irregularity (including constipation) and other fungal infections. Drumstick oil is useful to detoxifying the body of harmful substances including heavy metal toxins.
High fiber content also makes drumstick useful for weight management as it
reduces fat absorption in the gut and makes you feel fuller for a long duration.
4 Good for your heart
Based on several studies on both human and animal, Moringa Oleifera (a species of Moringa) is found to have the cholesterol-lowering effects just like flaxseeds, almonds, and oats. Thus, it makes you less prone to heart disease.
Drumstick leaf powder is specially useful in blood lipid control. It also prevents the arteries from plaque formation.
5 Improves brain health
As a rich source of antioxidants, Drumstick helps in neuron degeneration thus improving the brain function. Drumstick also benefits neurotransmitter functions by normalizing the “feel good” hormone serotonin, dopamine, and noradrenaline in the brain. The healthy antioxidants and bioactive plant compounds found in drumstick help in fighting against depression, stress, mood swings, and insomnia. Drumstick has also been found to be potentially effective for Alzheimer’s disease treatment at the preliminary level.
6 Good for teeth and bones:
1% of your daily magnesium requirement can be fulfilled by just a 10-gm serving of Drumstick (as powder), which is essential for healthy and strong teeth. Moringa leaves are also a great source of vitamin K, protein and calcium that are essential for strong bones.
7 Reduces Inflammation:
Inflammation is always associated with body’s natural response to infection or injury. Prolonged inflammation may result in major health issue including heart disease and cancer. Drumstick leaves, pods and seeds contain isothiocyanates which are known for its anti-inflammatory properties.
Apart from aforementioned benefits, it’s good for your hair (scalp and dandruff), boost immune function, anti-cancer, increases woman’s milk production.
8 Drumstick during Pregnancy
Drumstick leaves work great for pregnant and lactating women. Moringa leaves are found to be useful during pregnancy to overcome symptoms of pregnancy like vomiting and dizziness. It helps ease the complications during pre-pregnancy and post-pregnancy. Regular consumption of moringa leaves powder also aids in breast milk production.
9 Drumstick benefits for men
Drumstick is gaining popularity lately and for good reason. It is regarded as one of best plants to boost energy and overall health. Men certainly can hope many benefits from this magic tree. The drumstick seeds are used as a sexual virility drug for men.
It provides a natural and safe way for men to support their overall sexual function. Moringa seeds have been found very effective to help men in treating erectile dysfunction. Vitamins and coenzymes found in drumstick seeds increase blood circulation to erectile tissues causing the cellular expansion. As a result, men experience increased size and hardness of erection.
Vitamins and coenzymes found in drumstick seeds increase blood circulation to erectile tissues causing the cellular expansion. As a result, men experience increased size and hardness of erection.
The antioxidants in drumstick leaves help men combat the oxidative stress. It also boost the heart function and anti-inflammatory response thus maintaining the proper blood flow during sexual activities and supporting the overall sexual function.
10 Drumstick Leaves Juice Benefits
Consuming drumstick leaves directly is not everyone’s cup of tea, hence it is better taken in the form of juice. It is tasty and gives you many health benefits:
- Drumstick leaves juice acts as a potent antiseptic for your skin.
- Taking drumstick leaves juice regularly stabilizes blood sugar and helps control diabetes.
- It is believed to be useful in treating anxiety.
- Drumstick leaves juice is mixed with carrot and used as a diuretic to treat gonorrhea
- Leafy juice is very effective against eye diseases.
- It benefits person with hair loss symptoms and also help reduce dandruff.
- Due to its high Iron content, it is good to be consumed by pregnant women. it helps increase red blood cells and prevents anemia.
11 Drumstick Leaves Powder Benefits
The main reason of drumstick gaining popularity as a natural leaf powder supplement is it’s mild flavour which is easily consumable. Also, studies claim it to be safe for human even in larger doses. It has many health benefits such as:
- The drumstick leaf powder works wonder for diabetic patients. It reduces lipid and glucose levels and regulates oxidative stress.
- Consuming drumstick leaves in powder form protects your heart from plaque formation in the arteries. It is very effective in blood lipid control and reducing cholesterol. It also protects against cell damage.
- Drumstick leaves increases the blood antioxidant levels as it is a rich source of various antioxidants including quercetin and chlorogenic acid.
- in a study, 30 women were given seven grams of drumstick leaf powder every day. After three months, the blood sugar levels were reduced by 13.5%.
12 Drumstick Vegetable Benefits
The gentle and sensitive green pods of drumstick is full of nutrient values. Apart from being used as a vegetable (in different Indian cuisine), it has got many wonderful health enhancing properties inside.
- Due to its anti-inflammatory property, pods are traditionally used to treat stomach ulcers.
- Pods are rich in Vitamin C and therefore used in the form of soup to treat cold and flu.
- It is a good source of iron, vitamins and calcium and thus offers strong and healthy bones. Pregnant women are recommended to use green pods as a soup or juice to avoid post-delivery problems.
- Due to its anti-bacterial qualities, it is also helpful in dealing with throat, skin and chest infection.
- Drumstick vegetable is extremely helpful to rejuvenate your skin and the treatment of acne and pimples. It is generally mixed with lemon and consumed as juice to improve the glow and shine of skin.
- Drumstick vegetable is also used as blood purifier.
13 Benefits of Drumstick Seeds
Just like any other parts of the drumstick plant, the seeds also offer many benefits:
- Due to isothiocyanates, seeds have been found to have anti-inflammatory properties.
- It protects against some effects of arsenic toxicity.
- Drumstick seed oil is used to treat antifungal problems, arthritis.
- Due to its non-sticky and antioxidant properties, drumstick seed oil makes an excellent skin moisturiser.
- It is also used as a water purifier.
Drumstick flower Benefits
Flowers of drumstick have several uses in the field of medicine and cosmetics:
- Drumstick flowers are a rich source of amino acids, potassium and calcium, making them a vital supplement for nursing mothers.
- Flowers are brewed as a medicinal tea and consumed as a health tonic to treat urinary tract infections.
- Drumstick flowers are the best supplement for breastfeeding women as it helps increase the flow of milk and its nutritional value.
- It is very useful in weight management. It has powerful diuretic content that helps reduce bloating and water retention.
- powerful antibiotic agents present in drumstick flowers help combat infection.
- The drumstick flower protects against tissue damage and strengthens the liver function.
- studies have found the drumstick flower to be useful in the treatment of impotence and sexual dysfunctions.
- Due to mild fragrance and antioxidant benefits for the skin, it is also used in preparation of cosmetics and perfumes including hair oils.
14 Drumstick Leaves Health Benefits
Drumstick leaves are loaded with nutritional contents as they are rich in vitamins, essential amino acids, minerals, energy, water and more. The health benefits that just a 100 gm of drumstick leaves can provide you is beyond imagination. They do a world of good for your heart, eyes, brain, skin, and the list goes on. Its leaves are used in many forms for hair, weight loss, and blood pressure.
15 Drumstick Leaves Soup for Weight Loss
Drumstick is considered a delicacy in many locales and is often mixed into other foods and recipe including soup, sauce and salads. Its leaves are high in fiber hence it absorbs more water and stops you from eating extra by making you feel full. Moringa leaves contain chlorogenic acid (an antioxidant) which supports weight loss by controlling blood sugar and burning the fats. Moringa leaves rarely contain any calorie thus help you provide nutrients with very less calorie, which is important when you want to lose weight. It is often taken as a soup by the people who are on weight loss regime. Have a look at the video and prepare yourself a delicious and sumptuous drumstick soup to help you lose weight.
16 Drumstick Leaves for High Blood Pressure
Drumstick leaves have long been known for their effectiveness to reduce the blood pressure. High blood pressure (also known as hypertension) is very common these days and may increases your chance of getting: Heart disease, Stroke, Congestive Heart Failure and Kidney disease. Drumstick leaves are considered superfood with abundance of Calcium, Potassium, Magnesium, Zinc, and Vitamin E, which are also the required/essential nutrient for a person suffering from high blood pressure. Drumstick plant leaves are a good source of vitamin C which helps in the production of nitric oxide, A critical element for normal functioning of blood vessels. They help normalize the blood pressure on the blood vessels and make the flow of blood smooth.
17 Drumstick Leaves for Hair
Tired of losing hair strands? You must be low on Vitamin B6, biotin and folic acid. These nutrient along with Vitamin E are crucial to stop hair loss and increase the blood circulation to hair follicles. Due to high concentrations of vitamins (vitamin A, vitamin E, B vitamins) and minerals (zinc and silica), drumstick leaves help stimulate your natural hair growth and prevent hair loss and dandruff. Also, compared to synthetic vitamins and supplements, drumstick leaves are absorbed easily thus giving you quick visual benefits. It also makes your hair shiny and healthier while addressing dryness and brittleness.
Drumstick Side Effects
Drumstick is free from chemical additives, So, if used in pure form it doesn’t cause any side effects. No impurities reported till date for Drumstick. Make sure you always take drumstick in the purest form. Since, not much research has been done on the side effects of over dosage, it is best to avoid drumstick during pregnancy or while breast feeding.
Drumstick Leaves Side Effects
Drumstick leaves have laxative properties, so, it may cause stomach upset, heart burn, and diarrhea if consumed in large amount. The large quantity intake may also cause nausea so, avoid overconsumption and stay safe.
Drumstick Side effects for a pregnant women
However, a pregnant woman should avoid the consumption of bark and roots as they contain some chemical that may result in uterine contraction and consequently increase the risk of a miscarriage.
Drumstick Benefits in Hindi
आयुर्वेद में ३०० रोगों का सहजन से उपचार बताया गया है, लेकिन आधुनिक विज्ञान ने इसके पोषक तत्वों की मात्रा खोजकर संसार को चकित कर दिया है। इसकी फली, हरी पत्तियों व सूखी पत्तियों में कार्बोहाइड्रेट, प्रोटीन, कैल्शियम, पोटेशियम, आयरन, मैग्नीशियम, विटामिन-ए, सी और बी कॉम्पलैक्स प्रचुर मात्रा में पाया जाता है।
एक अध्ययन के अनुसार इसमें दूध की तुलना में ४ गुना कैलशियम और दुगना प्रोटीन पाया जाता है। क्षेत्रीय खाद्य अनुसंधान एवं विश्लेषण केंद्र लखनऊ द्वारा सहजन की फली एवं पत्तियों पर किए गए नए शोध से पता चला है कि प्राकृतिक गुणों से भरपूर सहजन इतने औषधीय गुणों से भरपूर है कि उसकी फली के अचार और चटनी कई बीमारियों से मुक्ति दिलाने में सहायक हैं।
कुछ विशेषज्ञों के अनुसार इसे दुनिया का सबसे उपयोगी पौधा कहा जा सकता है। यह न सिर्फ कम पानी अवशोषित करता है बल्कि इसके तनों, फूलों और पत्तियों में खाद्य तेल, जमीन की उर्वरा शक्ति बढ़ाने वाली खाद और पोषक आहार पाए जाते हैं।
इसके फूल, फली व पत्तों में इतने पोषक तत्त्व हैं कि विश्व स्वास्थ्य संगठन के मार्गदर्शन में दक्षिण अफ्रीका के कई देशों में कुपोषण पीडित लोगों के आहार के रूप में सहजन का प्रयोग करने की सलाह दी गई है। एक से तीन साल के बच्चों और गर्भवती व प्रसूता महिलाओं व वृद्धों के शारीरिक पोषण के लिए यह वरदान माना गया है।
लोक में भी कैन्सर व पेट आदि शरीर के आभ्यान्तर में उत्पन्न गांठ, फोड़ा आदि में सहजन की जड़ का अजवाइन, हींग और सौंठ के साथ काढ़ा बनाकर पीने का प्रचलन है। यह भी पाया गया है कि यह काढ़ा साइटिका (पैरों में दर्द), जोड़ो में दर्द, लकवा, दमा, सूजन, पथरी आदि में लाभकारी है।
सहजन के गोंद को जोड़ों के दर्द और शहद को दमा आदि रोगों में लाभदायक माना जाता है। आज भी ग्रामीणों की ऐसी मान्यता है कि सहजन के प्रयोग से विषाणु जनित रोग चेचक के होने का खतरा टल जाता है।
Drumstick in Hindi
सहजन (Drumstick tree) एक एक बहुत उपयोगी पेड़ है। इसे हिन्दी में सहजना, सुजना, सेंजन और मुनगा आदि नामों से भी जाना जाता है। इसका वनस्पति वैज्ञानिक नाम “मोरिंगा ओलिफेरा” ( Moringa oleifera ) है।
इस पेड़ के विभिन्न भाग अनेकानेक पोषक तत्वों से भरपूर पाये गये हैं इसलिये इसके विभिन्न भागों का विविध प्रकार से उपयोग किया जाता है। सहजन के पेड़ अधिकतर हिमालय के तराई वाले जंगलों में ज्यादा पायें जाते हैं।
सहजन के पेड़ छोटे या मध्यम आकार के होते हैं। इसकी छाल और लकड़ी कोमल होती है। सहजन के पेड़ की टहनी बहुत ही नाजुक होती है जो बहुत जल्दी टूट जाती है। इसके पत्ते 6-9 जोड़े में होते हैं।
फलियां 6-18 इंच लम्बी 6 शिराओं से युक्त और धूसर होती हैं। सहजन के पेड़ तीन प्रकार के होते हैं जिन पर लाल, काले और सफेद फूल खिलते हैं। लाल रंग के फूल वाले पेड़ की सब्जी खाने में मीठी और सफेद रंग के फूल वाले पेड़ की सब्जी कटु होती है।(1)
Drumstick has many names in Hindi such as: Sajjan Ki Phalli, Segva, Shinga, Saigan, Sehijjan, Munaga, etc. India has a diverse culture; hence the drumstick goes with many region-specific names.
In Southern states of India drumstick is called: Muringakkai, Muringakkaya, Munnakaya, Munaga, Nuggekai etc. whereas western region (Maharashtra and Gujrat) has a different tongue for drumstick such as: shevaga, sheng, saragvani sing, saragavo etc.
Conclusion: Drumstick Vegetable is truly Magical
Isn’t the miracle tree, a load of incredible health nutrients. Just add fresh or dried leaves to any of your dishes and strengthen your body and mind. Drumstick is not an essential nutrient but a herbal supplement. So, there is no recommended dosage of drumstick as of now. As claimed by many studies the optimum calculated dosage is 29 mgs per kilogramme of body weight.
As drumstick is a natural source of nutrients, it is more bioavailable than the other form of supplements. It doesn’t take much to grow a drumstick tree either. It requires only 8 months with marginal soil and a little water and a bit of care, off course. What are you waiting for? Plant a drumstick tree right away, make it a part of your daily food and have a healthy life forever.
- Antiasthmatic activity of Moringa oleifera Lam: A clinical study.Agrawal, B., and A. Mehta. 2008. Indian J Pharmacol. 40: 28–31.
- Drumsticks: One solutions to several health problems, Indian Express May 11, 2015
- A compositional study of Moringa stenopetala leaves.Abuye, C., K. Urga, H. Knapp, D. Selmar, A.M. Omwega, J.K., Imungi, and P. Winterhalter. 2003. East African Medical Journal 80: 247-252.
- Moringa Tree Foundation, Seeds of Hope
- Trees for Life International, Moringa Tree.
- All Things Moringa, H. Hiawatha Bey
- Jed W. Fahey, S., “Moringa Oleifera: A Review of the Medical Evidence for Its Nutritional, Therapeutic, and Prophylactic Properties.” (Vols. Copyright: ©2005 Jed W. Fahey. Baltimore, Maryland: Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, Department of Pharmacology and Molecular Sciences, Lewis B. and Dorothy Cullman Cancer Chemoprotection Center, 725 N. Wolfe Street, 406 WBSB, Baltimore, Maryland, USA 21205-2185.]
- Moringa Leaves, Angela Mays
- “Moringa Super Veggie” by Adhishakti LLC, Vaidya Mishra
- Moringa Benefits, Medicinal Usage and Complete Ayurveda Details by Dr JV Hebbar.
- Anti-fungal activity of crude extracts and essential oil of Moringa oleifera Lam by Chuang, P. H., Lee, C.W., Chou, J. Y., Murugan, M., Shieh, B.J., & Chen, H. M., Bioresour Technol, 98(1), (2007): 232-236.
- Leaf Protein and Mineral Concentrations across the “Miracle Tree” Genus Moringa by Olson ME, Sankaran RP, Fahey JW, Grusak MA, Odee D, Nouman W.
- The Magical Moringa By: Vanita Agarwal, california College of Ayurveda
- Effectiveness of Drumstick Leaves Extract to Reducing Blood Glucose Level Among Hyperglycemic Clients.
- Effectiveness of Drumstick Leaves Tea upon the Level of Blood Pressure among the Hypertensive Clients in Sree Balaji Medical College and Hospital
- http://Source: http://www.huffingtonpost.in/nandita-iyer/14-ways-to-cook-and-eat-drumstick-moringa-leaves/